Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Blueberry muffins


One of the first recipes I converted to GF/CF was Blueberry muffins. My family ate the first attempts but something seemed a bit off. Over time I realized that the texture wasn't great because I wasn't mixing the batter long enough. The Betty Crocker cookbook teaches you (on the same page as the blueberry muffin recipe!) that if you overmix muffins, they will have a peaked shape. I finally realized that I would rather have a peaked shape but a smoother textured muffin. Let the batter fully mix for at least 30 seconds. It should look like it has a uniform color to it and be smooth.

I love this recipe because I can have the muffins in the oven in 5 minutes, then the muffins bake while I enjoy a cup of coffee and whatever book I am currently reading.
This recipe was adapted from the 2006 Betty Crocker cookbook

Blueberry muffins
Makes 12

Ingredients
3/4 cup milk substitute (I use rice milk)
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 large egg
2 cups All purpose Gluten free flour
1/2 tsp guar gum
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups with spray oil. In large bowl, beat milk, oil and egg until well mixed. Stir in flour, guar gum, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder and salt all at once. Mix well. Fold in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Each muffin has 4 points on the Weight Watchers Plus points system.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...