Wednesday, July 25, 2012

So...Where have I been?

OK, so I sort of slacked off again on bogging. Sorry! Have you ever had a school assignment that just hung over your head? You know you should just tackle it and be done but you wait and wait? That's how the What do we like Wednesdays was starting to feel. Sorry, but it's true. I guess I don't do well with deadlines, even self-imposed ones.

I am going to continue to blog (I still have a lot to share with you!) but I may not stick
with the Wednesdays. Please be patient with me, I am not a born blogger :)

So, I want to share something that happened yesterday. It made my day, my week, my month....

My son is attending a day camp this week and as a special treat I made a large batch of cookies for his lunches. Each day I have been sending 3 cookies with him. It turns out that several of the boys in class have been asking him to share! One of the boys has even asked for the recipe. These boys are not gluten/dairy free and they LOVE my cookies!!!

Should I tell them that it's just the Betty Crocker recipe done up GF/DF style? I have been sneaking in a bit of coconut oil, so far my son hasn't noticed! I have though, the cookies have a very subtle coconut flavor that goes great with the chocolate chips.

If you would like to try, here is the recipe. This is adapted from the Basic Betty Crocker cookbook.

Gluten-free/Dairy-free Chocolate chip cookies.
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Earth Balance Butter spread (I use the original in the tub)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 large egg
315g All-purpose flour mix
1/2 teaspoon Guar gum
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 bag chocolate chips (I have been using Trader Joes brand)

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Beat sugars, butter spread, coconut oil, vanilla and egg in a mixer on medium speed, or with a spoon. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Beat until mixed. Fold in chocolate chips.
3. On an un-greased cookie sheet, drop dough by rounded tablespoon (I use a Cookie dough scoop)
about 2 inches apart.
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (try not to over bake or the cookies will be hard) or until light brown, the centers will be soft. Allow to cool for 1 to 2 minutes before you try to transfer them to a cooling rack.

I usually use a Mini chocolate chip for my cookies but I am finding that the larger ones have done just fine. I was careful to let the cookies firm up some before I transfer them off the the cookie sheet.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...