Sunday, June 19, 2011

Starlight Yellow Cake


     This is, by far, my family's favorite cake and my kids begged me to make it today "for Daddy on Father's day" of course!  It is based on the Betty Crocker Cookbook Starlight Yellow Cake but with a different frosting. I just tweaked it to be GF/CF.  Usually we do either vanilla or chocolate frosting but this time my kids couldn't agree, so we did both! The frosting recipe is from About.com. I double the frosting recipe to have enough for the center layer.

I have fooled many "gluten eaters" with this recipe!
     

Starlight Yellow Cake, From the Betty Crocker Cookbook Bonus edition 2006

315g  All-purpose GF flour mix
1 tsp Xanthan gum (or 1/2 tsp Xanthan + 1/2 tsp Guar gum)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup oil (I use canola)
1/4 cup applesauce
1 1/4 cup milk substitute (I use rice milk)
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray two 9-inch round pans with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, beat all ingredients with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Pour into pans.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool the pans for about 5 minutes, then remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely and then frost.

If you want a center layer of chocolate frosting, take about 3/4 cup of the frosting and mix with 2 tbsp cocoa powder, blend well.

Just a note about the applesauce, I use it not only to make the cake just a tiny bit healthier but also to be more frugal. Every year I glean free apples from a nearby orchard and make them into applesauce. So by using the free applesauce, I am saving my paid-for oil. You can also make this cake by using 1/2 cup Earth Balance Butter Substitute or by using 1/2 cup oil.

1/12 piece (including the double batch of frosting) has 14 points on the Weight Watchers Points Plus program.

Happy Father's day to all the Dad's out there, especially mine! I hope you all have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...