Friday, June 10, 2011

Pancakes

     Part of the fear of going GF/CF is the belief that you will have to eat weird, funny tasting foods. While I do agree that some of the alternative choices can have a different flavor, there are many options that very closely mimic the original.

     Our breakfast this morning was pancakes. Light, fluffy pancakes straight out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. I simply substitute my all-purpose GF flour (I will put a post up about that soon), with a bit of xanthan gum and rice milk.

     I know that a lot of bloggers out there are turning to grain free and whole grain (less starchy) GF baking. I think that is wonderful and have tried some of that myself, but when it comes to feeding a very picky 10 year old who just wants his food to look and taste how he remembers it, this is the way to go.

We topped them with a non-dairy butter (be sure that the one you use is CF, many of the "non-butter" subs still contain it) and homemade pancake syrup.

Pancakes, makes 9 4-inch

1 egg
1 cup all purpose GF flour
1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
3/4 cup milk sub (you can use rice, almond, soy, hemp, etc.)
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

In a medium bowl, beat egg with hand beater (I use a stand mixer) until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients. Mix on high for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Grease whatever pan you are using to cook these (I use Trader Joe's canola spray). Use a scant 1/4 cup of batter per pancake. Cook pancakes until bubbly on top, puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown. I find that using a lower heat setting than I would with "traditional" pancakes gives them time to cook through without burning.

Each pancake is 3 points on the Weight Watchers Points Plus Program (6 points for 2 pancakes)

For anyone who may be following the Weight Watchers points plus plan, I will try to include the points value of each of the recipes I post. Please remember that if you are using a different all-purpose flour, your points may vary slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...