Thursday, June 30, 2011

Birthday Party!


My daughter just celebrated her 8th birthday this past weekend. With the help of  Haley's Corner Bakery in Kent, Wa we were able to celebrate with a beautiful, GF/CF cake! The cake was a bit on the sweet side because my daughter chose frosting as her middle layer inside but the taste and texture of the cake was excellent. Haley’s offers an assortment of fillings (the chocolate mousse is very good!) and we had our choice of eight different cakes.

For dinner that night, my daughter really wanted spaghetti and garlic bread. I had not tried to use my bread recipe to make garlic bread but it ended up working out great!

Start by mixing up a batch of  my basic bread  recipe. Then, instead of putting it in the bread machine, use a muffin top pan similar to this one Cuisinart Chef's Classic 6-Cup Nonstick Muffin-Top Pan  If you don’t have a muffin top pan, you could use English muffin rings or maybe even tuna cans with the top and bottom cut out placed on a cookie sheet. What didn’t fit in my muffin pan, I put in a regular bread pan.






Pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees for about 5 minutes and then turned it off. Place the bread in the oven and let it rise for about 1 hr. Remove the bread from the oven and pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Put the bread back in and bake for 10-15 minutes.

After baking the bread, let it cool (I actually made mine in the morning for that nights dinner) and then split whatever shapes you made in half. I had 6 round buns and 1 small loaf.

Use whatever butter or butter substitute you want. I used Earth Balance spread mixed with garlic powder to butter them. Bake them at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes (keep an eye on them as they can brown up quickly).  
Next time I think I will make a larger batch of these and freeze them. The round loaves would make perfect hamburger buns as well.

We enjoyed the bread with Trader Joe’s Rice spaghetti noodles with spaghetti and meat sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...