Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Weird Food Names

While in Trader Joes today I was looking through some of their candies. I noticed that several had an ingredient called Glucose syrup. Have you heard of this? It is made from wheat! It can also be made from corn, barley, potato or rice.
I would not have thought that given the name. Nor would I have guessed that the box of jelly beans I was looking to buy had wheat in them.
Thankfully, Trader Joe's does a great job with their packaging.
 The label read like this... Glucose syrup(wheat).  Can't get much more clear than that.

Always read the lable. If you don't know what something is, look it up. If this product had glucose syrup made from barley, it would still contain gluten but since it wasn't from wheat, it would not have to have an allergen warning.

**Sigh** when did food get so weird???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...